Position: Nutrition Assistant
Responsible To: Food Security & Nutrition Coordinator
Directly Managing: CRPs and indirectly LHWs through LHS
Start Date: ASAP
Context and Background
Merlin is the UKs leading international health charity, sending medical experts to the frontline of global emergencies and staying on to build lasting health systems. We entered Pakistan in 2005 after an earthquake in Jammu Kashmir left 75,000 dead and hundreds of thousands homeless. Since then we have expanded to provide a wide range of primary health care, malaria control, family planning, post abortion care and nutrition services to over 2.2 million people. We currently support 110 health facilities and ten hospitals, and have scaled up in times of emergency including the devastating floods of 2010 and 2011.
In Sindh, the province was worst affected by the floods of 2010 and hit again by severe rains in 2011, Merlin is providing health, nutrition and RH services in district Thatta, Badin, Dadu and Tharparkar. This includes treatment centres for communicable diseases like diarrhea, feeding programmes for severely and moderately malnourished children and vaccinations to protect children under the age of 5 from diseases such as polio.
In Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, we are working in the Swat Valley, Peshawar, Buner and Nowshera districts areas which are still confronting political instability, widespread militancy and displacement in wake of the conflict in neighbouring Afghanistan. Merlin has provided emergency healthcare to internally displaced people (IDPs) in Jalozai camp since 2009, which were scaled up at the start of 2012 following an influx of IDPs from Khyber Agency. As people return to the Swat valley, we are working with government of Pakistan to strengthen the countrys health system, including training lady health workers to provide family planning advice in an effort to stem maternal mortality
- Registration and management of Malnourished Children (less then 5yrs) and Pregnant & Lactating Women as per CMAM guidelines under direct supervision of the Food Security & Nutrition Coordinator.
- Registration of Children aged up to 02 years in CCT (Conditional Cash Transfer) component of the project.
- Support to establish and maintain linkages with Stabilization Center at DHQ Hospital Thatta.
- DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure the proper screening, assessment and registration of children (< 5yrs) and Pregnant & Lactating women as per CMAM guidelines.
- Responsible for management of moderately & severely acute malnourished children (< 5yrs) and Pregnant & Lactating women and maintenance of records at HFs.
- Follow the CMAM management guidelines for the treatment of moderate and severe acute malnutrition (without complications) in children (< 5yrs) and Pregnant & Lactating women.
- Ensure Proper care, packing and distribution of nutrition commodities to the registered and deserving patients as per CMAM guidelines.
- Ensure the timely referral of severely acute malnourished children with complications to the stabilization center.
- Coordinate with the SC staff and follow up the status of the referred children.
- To provide appropriate counseling support to the mothers/guardians for availing the curative services at SC.
- To register the children up to 02 years of age in the CCT component of the project.
- Prepare and submit timely Supply Request for SFP & OTP supplies.
- To promote the importance of nutrition in the community especially targeting woman and children under 05 years of age.
- To Promote IYCF (Infant & Young Child Feeding) practices in the community.
- Provide technical support to Lady Health Workers (LHWs), Lady Health Supervisors (LHSs) and Community Resource Person (CRPs).
- To conduct outreach activities in the catchments of the health facility in order to maximize the coverage.
- To keep close coordination with Merlin PHC team, MoH and PPHI staff at health facility level.
- Ensure timely submission of reports.
- The employee may be required to perform other tasks, take on other responsibilities and work in other locations, depending on the needs of the project.
1.1 MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Qualified Nurse/LHV having a registration with Pakistan nursing council (PNC).
- Experience of working in CMAM Program.
- Minimum 1 Year experience in International organizations, local NGO or government health facility
- Fluent in Urdu and Sindhi
- Experience in nutrition services, dispensing and vaccination will be an advantage.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Willingness to travel extensively in the different areas, as needed
- Preference will be given to locale applicants of Thatta district.
- Good knowledge of Nutrition.
- Previous working experience in a nutrition related program with INGO/NGO.